So, it's a snow day here in our area. Lots of snow, beautiful snow, a visual feast!
But along with that comes shoveling. Here are some tips.
- Go slowly, pace yourself! Especially if you are not used to this level of activity.
- Pick up small shovelfuls of snow at a time. In some places, I picked up snow from a top layer, then a middle layer, then the bottom layer.
- Use your body wisely.
- Switch it up! If you tend to shovel in one direction, trade every few minutes and use the shovel in the other direction.
- Bend at the knees to get down low, scoop up some snow and lift with your whole body, don't just lift with your arms and shoulders.
- Stop after every 3rd shovelful or so and pause. Look up, smile, move your shoulders around, stretch out your arms or jump in the snow and make a snow angel!
- Most importantly, breath in deeply, appreciate the fresh cold air and feast on the beauty surrounding you!