Schedule a massage!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It's all about movement!

When I started massage school, I believed in massage as THE way to go, THE way to get better and heal without drugs and surgery.  Certainly it is the best way I know of getting to know my own body, connect my mind and body, which for me is the start of the healing process. As I began work as a Massage Therapist, I also continued exploring other bodywork methods. I experienced Feldenkrais and The Rossiter System and was blown away. I realized "ah, it's not just massage, it's all about movement!" How powerful, to include movement and massage!  that's the key! A whole new world of learning opened up for me. After 43 hours of training and practicing, I, Ellie Calhoun, became a certified Rossiter coach.  Now Rossiter is not massage, it's not done at the same time, however, my massage has gained a new level, has become more sophisticated because of my better understanding of the body, the connective tissue and how active movement can make deep lasting changes. How awareness of how we move in our lives assists in making positive changes.

Now I seek out new learning situations most often centered around movement.  I took a class with Whitney Lowe on Active Engagement, I'm signed up for Core Integration Foundations class with Josef Dellagrotte who teaches about the power of walking, I'm continually learning more about The Rossiter System. I'm constantly reading about alignment, about moving and exercising.

Including some movement in your daily life (other than just getting from place to place and doing your job) can serve the purpose of gaining strength, better balance and better coordination, leading to less chance of injury during times of less awareness. Engaging your body, moving with awareness, as many people have found, has benefits beyond those that are physical. It's meditative. It connects mind and body. It gives your mind a break. Get some movement into your life and see what it can do for you! It doesn't have to be furious and intense, it can be slow and flowing, dancing, walking, playful.

just move 
What is your favorite form of movement? What movement do you include in your life daily? How can you challenge yourself to move in new ways?


No comments:

Post a Comment