Schedule a massage!

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Inspired by the Olympics

Well, I had an idea for a post today that I started, but didn't finish.  Then I got caught up in watching the Olympics and started thinking about bodies, muscles, and movement.  I love watching the athletes move!  I love seeing the different body types, all powerful in the way they need to be for their event.  Is it just me or does everyone wish they could move their body, challenge their muscles in the way these athletes do?  I remember as a child racing as fast as I could barefoot on the gravel road and beating the kid who rode a bicycle.  I remember playing street hockey, running games, baseball in the neighbors big yard.  As kids we really used our bodies full out.

In my high school year book, under my picture it says that my ambition was to be in the Olympics.  I was always embarrassed about that because it wasn't really what I had written.  I wanted it to say my ambition was to play field hockey in the Olympics.  I played field hockey in high school.  Made the varsity team in my freshman year even though I didn't know how to play the game.  I was fast and that was what the coach needed.  I loved playing, I loved putting my all in running, pushing my body beyond what was comfortable. Even when I played tennis or ran track (I ran the 880 and was quite good actually)  I loved the feeling of really sweating and using my muscles for all it was worth. By the time I was a senior and co-captain of the team, we were the league champions and played in the state tournament.  I even went on to play for 3 years in college.  I had some muscle/tendon issues in my knees, ankle, foot and ended up not playing senior year. Part of that was also because school and learning became more important to me by then.

Over the years I have had various aches and pains that always seem to derail any efforts at being as physical as I once was.  Whether it was my feet, so bad I couldn't walk when I was in my early 20's, knees, then a shoulder...  Every time I tried to "get in shape" I hurt something, pulled something, strained something.  But I haven't given up and now I finally feel like I've found something that is helping me to become stronger.  Better nutrition is helping to heal some old issues as well as build muscle, lose fat and feel great.  If you are at all interested, this is what I am doing for nutrition and exercise.  But mostly I am so very, very thankful for finding bodywork.  Massage, Rolfing, Chiropractic, and especially Rossiter workouts have all contributed over the years to my being able to move with less pain, get to know my body and figure out what it needs and how it needs to move.

I never did get to the Olympics, but who knows?  Maybe I'll get out there and at least run again one of these days!





No comments:

Post a Comment